Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day - December 25


And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14



Marietta Tower:

One of my favorite ways to picture Jesus is on the day of his birth. As he lives his life he becomes someone I respect and strive to emulate, but not someone I can easily see myself in. On the day he is born, however, he is just like every other baby that has ever been born – a perfect blend of the human and the divine. I remember looking at each of my babies faces at the moment they were born and being struck by how tender and raw they were, so beautiful it was almost incomprehensible. The light of God seemed to radiate off of them. I remarked on the day my first child was born and I still maintain that I don’t see how anyone can not believe in God when they have witnessed a birth and gazed into the face of a newborn baby.


We need to remember that we each started out just as precious and light filled as Jesus did. We too started with an even mix of God and humanity, but the difference is that Jesus maintained this balance throughout his life while the rest of us covered up and buried that piece of God inside us under thick layers of hurt, sadness, anger, unkindness, and greed. Our job as Christians is to work to peel away some of those layers and let the light of God within us shine. We are all precious children of God, full of grace and truth; let us remove our protective shell and share that divine part of us with the world.

No comments: